Thursday, November 18, 2010

To the lady who approached me at the Meridian Winco this afternoon to tell me I looked pretty

...because you have been through chemo yourself and recognized me as someone who's going through it now - Thank you. It threw me at first that you knew why I was wearing this stylish hat and had cosmetically darkened eyebrows and carefully drawn eyeliner. I kept wondering whether you were a distant Facebook connection I was just failing to recognize. By the time I realized you were just a very nice complete stranger who's been where I am and was offering some encouragement, we had already parted ways. I know I did thank you, but it seems too shallow a thank you in retrospect. I was thanking you like someone accepting a nice easy compliment; "You look nice today" without the added subtext that it can be a pretty significant effort to look nice while going through chemo. You were offering the subtext and thus a much deeper level of compliment and encouragement, and I wish I had had the presence of mind to realize it quickly enough to thank you better. So, really. Thank you.

To anyone else who might be reading this blog - sorry I've been such a slacker. I'll be back, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment