Saturday, August 7, 2010

Another one from my second chemo treatment

Thursday, July 29, 2010
And I couldn't wait any longer on the hair. It's all gone!




---
The day of my first chemo treatment one of the nurses told me I had about 19 days left with hair. I decided I didn't want to be out somewhere and have my hair falling out in chunks, so I determined right there to shave my head the weekend prior to the 19-day mark. But the morning of day 14 I was already getting some hair loss...not a lot, but a noticeable number of hairs each time I ran my hands through it. And that evening, I found that if I actually pulled, I could get an actual chunk that just came right out. It was gross and I didn't want to deal with it, so I got my husband to shave me right then. And I was surprised to find that I liked it! First he ran the clippers over with a short template on, which I guess gave me a little preview of what it may look like while it's growing back in. It was cute. Then he took the template off and took me all the way down to the G.I. Jane, and I still liked it. I was VERY angry when I first found out I would have to do chemo, and a lot of that was because of my hair, which I had been growing out for a couple of years. It's not that long hair was really tremendously flattering on me, but as a bellydancer I really liked having it. I had managed to grow it to hip-length, and I wasn't really done; but life had other plans for me. I was at least able to donate it to an organization that makes wigs for teen & child cancer patients - 19 inches! And here I am, not hating my bald head at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment