Thursday, August 12, 2010

Live Nude Chemo!

Okay, I made up the nude part. Only my head is nude. Except it is still covered with the gorgeous henna designs my friend Mearah did for me. But I am writing live from the chemo suite! Woo!

It probably is really weird that I like going to chemo. There's a lot not to like about the drugs themselves, obviously, but the process of getting them has a lot to be said for it:

1. Afternoon off every two weeks
2. Really nice doctors, nurses and staff who will make a fuss over you and bring you things like blankets and beverages
3. How many other times in your life are you actually REQUIRED to kick back in a recliner and goof off for a couple of hours?
4. Wi-fi in the chemo suite greatly enhances the goofing-off possibilities.

I guess that wasn't that many things. But it's still pretty fun, for a medical procedure.
The only thing I really hate about it is the taste/smell of the saline when they flush my port. Thank goodness for Altoids.

I haven't really decided what I'm going to do today. I brought a magazine, and I have a DVD in my bag - one of my old favorites, The Man Who Would Be King - and my cute little pink iPod with lots of good music and a couple of TV shows loaded up. But I'll probably do the same thing I did last time, and the time before - surf the web. Endless hours of entertainment right there. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I liked chemo, too. Time off, good drugs for nausea, and my daughter always took me, so some mother-daughter bonding time. And my place had a roaming massage therapist for the chemo patients. Now I am at radiation. Much less painful and no side effects. The people are so nice to me. I will be done in about a week and as glad as I am to be that much further along in treatment, I will really miss the staff there. it was like for a half hour a day I hung out with a bunch of people whose only job was to be nice to me and treat me like a queen. Hey, we've got cancer. Gotta make the most of those nice little moments.

    ReplyDelete