Friday, August 27, 2010

Dancing through Chemo

What was I saying before the Brothers of the Baladi show about how I would probably have felt well enough to perform that night? No, I wouldn’t have. It was a wonderful show, I’m glad I went, and I did get up on the dance floor during quite a few of the “open dance” songs, but not at my usual energy level, and there is a huge difference between that and giving your all during a performance.

I did dance again at a local Mediterranean restaurant a couple of weeks ago, and again last Saturday night. I’ve been dancing there once or twice a month for years now, except during slow periods when they quit having dancers. But I had more or less taken myself out of the rotation after my first surgery, because I just didn’t know how I would be feeling on any given weekend. The (lovely and wonderful) dancer who does the scheduling was very understanding about the whole thing. I missed it though, and whether it’s performance or classes, it makes me feel like my old self again. There’s no chemo, there’s no cancer, there’s no worry, there’s just pure love of the music and the movement. And yet...

I’m not capable of as much as I was just a month or two ago. The first ten-minute set had me out of breath. I recovered, but later the second set completely wiped me. It wasn’t even as long. Then all three of us did a finale song together, and I didn’t have much to give. And then, while we were waiting for our pay & food, one of the owners who doesn’t get in much came by, and some friends of mine, and we danced one more song for them. I probably should not have done that. I was exhausted by the time I got home.

It was worth it though, and I was none the worse by morning. Maybe that just means I should do that sort of thing more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment